Rosetta Stone

Thursday, June 09, 2005

A Book Meme

Okay DNA tagged me... so here it goes:-

Total number of books owned: Ahhh I borrow them or steal them from libraries and sell them to seeds(leb) vendors later! Seriously, I have no idea I probably own a lot. As I keep them all, I never throw or exchange anything!

Last book bought: I bought Dan Brown's Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code on the same day but I never got to read them yet. For the latter, I guess I'll have to wait for the Ron Howard/Brian Grazer movie, it saves time :)

Last book read: Umaret Yaccubian, I bought it a year ago under the pressure of not being a backward person while everyone was talking about it. And I got to read two weeks ago, while I can't argue on Alaa El-Aswani talent but I know this may shock the fans... I actually hated it... it's an attempt of becoming a Naguib Mahfouz wannabe while being politically naive in handling the corruption issues in the country... it's like the Egyptian TV repeated soap operas portraying the typical sterotypes in the Egyptian society... Although I'm not a prude but the sex parts are too damn sleazy, it's like the cheap Erotica books sold in Cairo Train station (Confessions of a Housewife, Taboo etc.) (not that I ever bought any of them... ahem lol.


Five books that mean a lot to you:
1- The Holy Quran
2- Needful Things - Stephen King
3- Oreintalism - Edward Said
4- Cairo Trilogy - Naguib Mahfouz (three seperate books but they are all related)
5- Neuromancer - William Gibson

Tag five people to continue this meme:-

Sorry folks... but if you ever get to read this post you know what to do:- 1-Highlander, 2-Big Pharaoh, 3-Ramy, 4-Erlenda and 5- Twosret you could email it or comment it over here!

Posted by MG :: 5:11 AM ::
---------------oOo---------------